"students learn and retain more through the use of text, andHer favorite is the Lewis Structure Lab". The software in her words is "dummy proof" so that as they add data, if it it is too small or too big, the color changes to let the student know that they need to adjust their data. Using trial and error, students can get the right structure with electrons and bonds that would have been very dificult to understand just out of a textbook.
pictures/annimations, especiallywhen words and visuals are presented simultaneously" e-SchoolNews, March 26, 2008
- Can use as a lecture tool
- Deeper Understanding
- Using tools they are comfortable with
- More one on one student/teacher time
- Lectures are more effective/visual
- Saves Teaching Time
- Students are actively involved in the lectures
- Gives the "why" right up front
- Live at the molecular scale!
- Reflective journaling
9th grade: Students are assigned 4 elements and asked for comparison/contrast information.
Gas laws are now on the ACT test, so this gives students a visual.